Return to TBF Workplace
Bridge Fund ClientIDs are used to identify each client and store information about their loans, grants, outcomes, income, rent, and other details we use in making decisions about how best to help them. Each ClientID is unique, like our clients.
Because our ClientIDs consist of a Letter plus a number, software programs treat them as text, as if they had no numeric content. This is a problem when you want to sort the ClientIDs to find the next sequential number. And, you need to do this whenever you are sending out an application to a new client; these application form links must include a unique ClientID. This webpage will provide instructions on how to use our Caspio database and Excel to help with this task!
To find the next sequential number for the Bronx, or Manhattan, or Westchester, first
- Open a table of ClientIDs in the database (link provided at the end of these instructions):
- Click on Download and select the green EXCEL icon, press EXPORT and save the file to your own computer. The file name will be JustIDs.xlxs with today’s date at the end.
- Open the file in EXCEL and select all four columns by dragging cursor over A,B,C,and D. All four columns should be highlighted including all the data in the columns. Then click on Data, then Sort.
- Sort by Column C, from A to Z. Add a level, and Sort also on Column D, but from Z to A. This will sort the Initial Letters in order of B, I, K, M, Q, U, W (or whatever is being used as the first letter). And the numbers will be sorted largest ones first in each letter category. Choose the option to sort text and number as number.
- Right at the top, you will see the largest Bronx ClientID in the database, in this case “B10808”. So the next ClientID for the Bronx will be “B” and the next higher number, or “B10809”. To find the next ClientID for Queens, click on Home, then the magnifying glass icon for FIND, and type in Q in the Find Box. This will take you to the Q section, and again, the highest number will be first among the Qs, in this case, “Q3928”. The next ClientID would be “Q3929”.
- Use FIND again to search for other sections, such as a “W” for Westchester. We see “W6162”, so the next ClientID would be “W6163”.
- You will need to repeat these steps each time because other applications may have come in since you last downloaded the ClientIDs.
- Required Step: Finally, go back to our database of ClientIDs in Caspio and press NEW. Scroll to the bottom of the table to the empty row. Enter ONLY the ClientID and TBFProgram you are using to send out an application (TBFNYC or TBFW). As in our examples, you would enter W6163 and TBFW, or Q3929 and TBFNYC. You should not fill in the “Initial” or “Number” fields; these are generated automatically. This is an important step that will prevent other Bridge Fund staff from sending out a ClientID that uses the same number.
Here is the link to the JustIDs table:
Open the JustIDs table of ClientIDs
(opens in a new tab).